Saturday, April 5, 2014

Allywhitecat/suswan Mixed media art in West Texas a class with Michaels

Hi there. I am working on a journal piece for Michaels...Mixed media Art Journaling class
I am going to introduce products many of which you have probably used and may have not used before.
I have several projects lined up for you.
The first is a little mermaid. I love mermaids. How extremely wonderful it would be to live by the ocean and have a small coffee art shop and entertain the mer's all day ...
We are all so stressed in todays world,one of the most fabulous abilities of the art journal is to forget that stress just for a while and compose any thing that lightens the mind body and spirit.
Fantasy???? why not..We fantasize far more daily then we realize you know...:) put it on paper!

THE BOOK

The books you chose to begin with are all stepping stones to finding the one that suits you the most.
I am still experimenting.
The book I am using right now is a Strathmore 500 series mixed media paper
What does that mean? Good question. It slides into what each individual would call mixed media.
The weight of the paper determines the products you can place on it with out tearing or destruction of your art piece.
I used gesso water color paste acrylics and pencils on the two connected papers I made the mermaid on and...it did not harm the paper or the art work on the previous page.
I can also preform art work with out the paper being harmed on the page behind it using the same materials. That is the power of the weight of the paper. Is it important to me???? YES.VERY.

I drew a simple mermaid...I am not great at drawing so bear in mind yours will probably be far better.
I used my charcoal pencil and then colored her in first with acrylics on the face.
GOLDEN is the preferred fluid acrylic medium perfered however, GOLDEN fluid acrylics are very expensive, I would love to own one of every color another fantasy??? maybe , but we can dream can't we.
I added GESSO BY LIQUITEX around the body of the mermaid.
The face I colored with a inexpensive bottle of acrylic from APPLE BARRELL. I used it fifteen years ago on my ceramics.. acrylic and still had some in the bottle that was good..what does that say!
The color is CREAMY PEACH. I used this as a skin color for my "white" angels..I did all skin tones so I did have designated colors for them.
I used AMERICANA  Autumn Red for the cheeks and lips.
I love PRISMA PENCILS and use them daily on my digital art pieces. If you do not have any they are truly a worthy investment.
PUMPKIN ORANGE is a wonderful color to line the face and always use a blender when you use charcoal or PRISMA PENCILS
The water was made using LYRA AQUACOLOR WATER COLOR CRAYONS.
They are fabulous...hours and hours of fun with them..her dress is also colored with the LYRA AQUACOLOR WATERCOLOR CRAYONS...and her hair.
The WHITE
is from BASICS BY LIQUITEX so far it is the best white I have found to blend and use as a medium with gesso and paste.
The eyes were colored with the water color crayons.
This was my first layer of this journal page.

THE THOUGHT

I knew I wanted a mermaid but what was my self trying to tell my self. I took a note pad and wrote my thoughts ..what was on my mind about the mermaid.One thing I wrote in my notes was the quote I wrote on the left side of the journal page.
When I cannot see clearly through the situation I will move to a place with a better view.
Another thing I wrote was When I reach for the stars they fall.
and I chose to put this on the right side of the journal page.Then I wrote one more thing I had written in my notes Clear thoughts a star to light my way.

ADDING TEXTURES

Now the fun is beginning...
I used a stencil from PLAID FOLK ART # 30622
and Golden molding paste.
It looks like giant bubbles, they are circles...and over that i mixed white and green to lighten the dominant blue.

we have just begun :)
If you want to discuss or see the finished piece I will be at Michaels in Odessa Texas next Saturday. I will announce the time and addy soon..

HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE!!!!!
hugs
susan s
Allywhitecat  


   

 


No comments:

Post a Comment